Which digital marketing trends will drive changes in digital marketing and martech in 2019?
These 9 trends will dominate events and technology in 2019, and probably beyond.
- Brands as media companies. More than $580 million has been spent on YouTube in branded media campaigns since 2017.
- AI for customer acquisition and retention. AI is reshaping how we automate targeting, segmentation and omnichannel personalization. An AI-optimized digital marketing campaign for Brantley Gilbert, for example, had an ROI of 400%.
- Organizing around customer experience. A recent Salesforce report found that 68% of marketing leaders are committed to competing on customer experience, making organizing around customer experience a clear digital marketing trend.
- Adopting a holistic view of customer experience and customer journeys. Digital marketers all want a 360-degree view of their customers and are turning to customer data platforms (CDPs) to get a full, constantly updated customer profile for all of of their customers, at scale.
- Video, video, video. To engage customers and prospects, video is essential, not just a “nice-to-have.” Adults are expected to watch 1.5 more hours of video in 2019.
- Improving social media conversion. More than 3 billion people visited social media sites at least monthly in 2017.
- Growth and diversification of native advertising. More than $33 billion was spent on native advertising in 2018, and that number is expected to grow.
- Optimizing web search through PPC, SEO, and social media. About 35% of all web traffic was generated through search last year.
- Voice recognition increasingly used in digital marketing. By 2020, more than 75% of all households will have a smart speaker, so expect martech and digital marketers to adjust to this trend.
For a deeper dive into the latest marketing trends, read our recent blog, Martech Trends for 2019: What Marketers Need to Know.